Radon is a radioactive gas that is linked to the development of lung cancer. In fact, it is considered the second leading cause of this deadly disease. Across the globe, many people are exposed to radon even in the safest place—their home.
Being exposed to radon for a long period of time can lead to lung cancer. It happens because the gas in the air breaks down into small radioactive parts, dubbed as radon progeny, which can lodge in the lung’s lining. This kills and destroys the cells in the lining, causing cell death and malignancy.
How Are People Exposed To Radon?
People get exposed to radon at home by the radioactive gas seeping into the basement from the surrounding ground. Radon is present in soil, rock, and water. Moreover, water from deep wells can contain radon gas and this can enter the house through pipelines and into the shower. In Utah, radon testing is available to help you make sure your home is radon free and safe for your kids.
Since radon gas is given off by soil or rock, it can also enter buildings through cracks in the walls and floors. Moreover, it can enter through wires, pipes, pumps and construction joints. If you are working on the lower floors or basement of buildings, you are at a higher risk of radon exposure, especially because you have little ventilation there.
People who are working underground like miners and those who fix pipelines or sewage are at a higher risk of radon exposure. Since radon is also present in natural gas, those working in gas companies might be exposed to this killer gas. However, the people with the highest exposure are those who work in uranium-processing factories.
Radon is a dangerous naturally occurring gas, especially if you have been exposed for a long period of time. It is important to know if the building you work in, your house, or your company is safe. This will ensure your safety as an employee and you can prevent the possibility of acquiring lung cancer.